Monday, April 6, 2009

the thing about the hair



Hello everyone
Well I guess after the first 2 weeks post chemo, I have decided loosing my hair will be minor.
Not to mention, I AM READY.  On average it occurs on about day 14, and today is day 13.
I have been told by doctor that I WILL lose my hair, with this medication regime. There are chemo med regimes that only a percentage of people lose their hair, with Taxol, almost everyone does, and in my case, I figure that my hair grows so fast normally it would be certain that I will lose mine.
Serendipity as it may be, I just reached up (while writing this blog) to pull on a lock of hair and it came out in my hand.
SO I guess today is the day.
THE PLAN
A few weeks ago I had my hair corn braided like in the picture.
In the past few weeks I have attempted to also place small elastics up at the top of the braid, near the scalp. Sondy from Sondys  corn braided my hair. Courtney from Vickie Gs is going to help me, once it appear the hair is falling out.
We are going to try to salvage the braids and then sew them to a special cap, and then I can wear the cap under a hat and look like I have hair. She will shave?? the hair off.
We will take pictures... :)
I think it would be dishonest for me to say that I am OK with this, I have read where women refused chemo based on the hair loss. I have also read where the survival rate at 3 years with my stage of cancer was 50-60 percent before they started using chemo AND radiation.

The other really interesting thing I found out yesterday, is that the drug I am on Taxol, is the one that was so controversial, as it comes from the bark of the Pacific yew, and the tree  is destroyed in the harvesting of the bark
There was concern by environmental groups about the loss of the trees. Several years it took to finally develop other ways to obtain the agent required. Article is here   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paclitaxel

Well, could be a busy day
love and peace

janet bates
jankenb@gmail.com




No comments:

Post a Comment