Sunday, August 9, 2009

nausea with chemo, and recipe

Hello everyone
So glad to be nearing the end of this. Yesterday was about the worse day of chemo thus far. At least last evening was. Despite all the meds, I just had to try to lie still to stave away the nausea. Then today is the postmortum trying to figure out what i did wrong. What I shouldn't have eaten, what I should have eaten etc.
Today seems better though.
It just seems as though the whole gastro intestinal track, just shuts down, or at least slows down considerably. You eat, you drink, then your abdomen looks like you could be 7 months pregnant, and then you get nausea. Just nowhere for it all to go.
Speaking of food, several have asked for my recipe for my birthday cake. Zucchini cake (which I altered to make more "healthy" To make it into a cake I just used a cake pan and iced it with lemon icing.

  • 3 cups shredded zucchini (about 3 medium)
  • 4 cups all-purpose flour (I used half whole wheat)
  • 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons granulated sugar, divided (I used half Steiva half sugar)
  • 1/2 cup chopped walnuts, toasted
  • 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
  • 5 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1 tablespoon grated lemon rind
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon ( I also added 1/8th of a cup of turmeric)
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
  • 1 1/2 cups skim milk
  • 6 tablespoons vegetable oil (I used olive oil)
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla extract ( I used almond extract)
  • 2 large eggs
  • Cooking spray


Preheat oven to 350°.

Press zucchini on several layers of paper towels. Cover with additional paper towels; set aside.

Combine flour, 1 cup granulated sugar, walnuts, and next 6 ingredients (walnuts through nutmeg) in a large bowl; make a well in center of mixture. Combine milk, oil, vanilla, and eggs in a bowl; stir with a whisk. Add zucchini; stir. Add to flour mixture; stir just until moist. Divide batter evenly between 2 (8 x 4-inch) loaf pans coated with cooking spray. Sprinkle each with 1 tablespoon granulated sugar. Bake at 350° for 1 hour and 10 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 5 minutes in pans on a wire rack; remove from pans. Cool completely on wire rack.

No comments:

Post a Comment