Friday, July 17, 2009

zucchinis.......stuffed


Hi Everyone

My garden is doing OK, well at least some of it is. I made this following dish for supper last night and it was GREAT. I was trying to find a recipe for the zucchinis in my garden, and this recipe I found was a perfect anti cancer recipe. It has ginger, garlic, turmuric, peas,  all foods that have been found to have anticancer properties.

I was able to use zucchinis from my garden as well as potatoes and I would have used the peas from my garden if the deer had not eaten the tops off of all my pea plants (and the ones that remained I have gone out and eaten myself)  I found the basic recipe at cookinglight.com.  

Stuffed Zucchinis

  • 6  medium zucchini (about 3 pounds)
  • 1 1/4  teaspoons  salt, divided
  • 1 1/2 cups of potatoes chopped
  • 2  teaspoons  butter
  • 2  teaspoons  olive oil
  • 2 1/2  cups  chopped celery
  • 3  tablespoons  minced peeled fresh ginger
  • 4  garlic cloves, crushed
  • 1  serrano chile, minced (I held this....)
  • 2  tablespoons  chickpea (garbanzo bean) flour   (or amaranth flour) (can also use whole wheat)
  • 1  teaspoon  ground coriander
  • 1/4  teaspoon  ground turmeric (I used a full teaspoon)
  • 1/4  teaspoon  ground red pepper
  • 1/4  teaspoon  ground cumin
  • 1 1/2  cups  frozen green peas, thawed (I used fresh peas)
  • 2  tablespoons  finely chopped fresh cilantro (I used a cup of cilantro)

Preparation

Cut each zucchini in half lengthwise; scoop out pulp, leaving a 1/4-inch-thick shell. Place zucchini halves, cut sides up, in a shallow roasting pan. Sprinkle with 1/2 teaspoon salt.

Preheat oven to 375°.

Cook potato in boiling water 2 minutes or until crisp-tender; drain.

Heat butter and oil in a nonstick skillet over medium-high heat until butter melts. Add onion, ginger, garlic, and chile, and sauté 3 minutes. Stir in flour and next 4 ingredients (flour through cumin). Cook over medium-low heat 5 minutes, stirring frequently. Stir in 3/4 teaspoon salt, potato, peas, and cilantro.

Pat zucchini dry with paper towels; spoon about 1/3 cup potato mixture into each zucchini half. Cover and bake at 375° for 20 minutes or until zucchini is tender.

Nutritional Information

Calories:
145 (22% from fat)
Fat:
3.5g (sat 1.1g,mono 0.8g,poly 1.2g)
Protein:
5.7g
Carbohydrate:
24.9g
Fiber:
6g
Cholesterol:
3mg
Iron:
1.7mg
Sodium:
552mg
Calcium:
55mg

The nausea is better with the ginger, the heartburn is....... well ....
I am doing OK today

peace
janet bates
jankenb @ gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment