My garden is doing OK, well at least some of it is. I made this following dish for supper last night and it was GREAT. I was trying to find a recipe for the zucchinis in my garden, and this recipe I found was a perfect anti cancer recipe. It has ginger, garlic, turmuric, peas, all foods that have been found to have anticancer properties.
I was able to use zucchinis from my garden as well as potatoes and I would have used the peas from my garden if the deer had not eaten the tops off of all my pea plants (and the ones that remained I have gone out and eaten myself) I found the basic recipe at cookinglight.com.
- 6 medium zucchini (about 3 pounds)
- 1 1/4 teaspoons salt, divided
- 1 1/2 cups of potatoes chopped
- 2 teaspoons butter
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 2 1/2 cups chopped celery
- 3 tablespoons minced peeled fresh ginger
- 4 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 serrano chile, minced (I held this....)
- 2 tablespoons chickpea (garbanzo bean) flour (or amaranth flour) (can also use whole wheat)
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/4 teaspoon ground turmeric (I used a full teaspoon)
- 1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 1/2 cups frozen green peas, thawed (I used fresh peas)
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh cilantro (I used a cup of cilantro)
Cut each zucchini in half lengthwise; scoop out pulp, leaving a 1/4-inch-thick shell. Place zucchini halves, cut sides up, in a shallow roasting pan. Sprinkle with 1/2 teaspoon salt.
Preheat oven to 375°.
Cook potato in boiling water 2 minutes or until crisp-tender; drain.
Heat butter and oil in a nonstick skillet over medium-high heat until butter melts. Add onion, ginger, garlic, and chile, and sauté 3 minutes. Stir in flour and next 4 ingredients (flour through cumin). Cook over medium-low heat 5 minutes, stirring frequently. Stir in 3/4 teaspoon salt, potato, peas, and cilantro.
Pat zucchini dry with paper towels; spoon about 1/3 cup potato mixture into each zucchini half. Cover and bake at 375° for 20 minutes or until zucchini is tender.
- 145 (22% from fat)
- 3.5g (sat 1.1g,mono 0.8g,poly 1.2g)