Thursday, February 25, 2010

My first anniversary

It was one year ago today that I had my radical hysterectomy for endometrial cancer.
The pathology a week later showed it was Stage 3C with positive intraperitoneal cytology.
I was mortified, my life turned upside down.
Anniversaries in Cancer patients are extremely important, because the further you get away from the initial treatment the better are your chances that you have succeeded in a cure. With endometrial cancer recurrences are rare after 3 years.
I worry less and less about recurrences, but the thoughts do occasionally come back.
It is extremely hard to imagine the past year without the incredible support from Ken. I cannot imagine going through this alone.
This blog has been extremely helpful for me, being able to write down my thoughts, what I was going through, somehow made it easier, it gave me a focus on many of the more difficult days.
Although I have often wondered why anyone would want to read all about what I was writing about, I have to say I am so appreciative for those who have followed this story, my story, along. It has made me feel good to know people cared about what I was going through.

I guess now I am writing just because some people seem to enjoy it, and also because what I am going through now, I believe, is something I want everyone to know about. From all I have read about hyperbarics, this very well could be the medical panacea. I am wondering if a few years from now, we will be treating all stroke patients with hyperbarics. There is even talk of post heart attack. The thing is that it all makes such clear sense physiologically.
The treatment with hyperbarics, of "traumatic brain injuries", one of the main injuries from the IEDs in Iraq, is showing great success at improved mental functioning.

Anyways, a big day planned, off to the "chamber"
Love Janet
jankenb @ gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment